Today is the perfect day for helping others.
011 – 25 Ways To Be A Good Neighbor – The Dadvice Podcast from The Voice of America’s Dad
September 1 is “No Rhyme or Reason Day.”
It’s a perfect day to think about helping others.
In honor of No Rhyme or Reason Day, I thought it might be good to talk about doing something nice for someone else for… wait for it… no rhyme or reason! We all know how good it makes US feel when someone just does something nice for us… like when someone ahead of you at the drive through pays for your coffee, or someone offers to take care of something on your To-do list. It’s often something simple, which I think it what makes it amazing. Simple gestures go a long way. Other times, it’s helpful to think about ways you can give back, in a larger sense. Ways you can volunteer or help out an important cause.
So the topic for today is: Enriching Your Own Existence by Helping Others
Although you may find yourself with enough work and family duties on your hands, it can be life-changing to occasionally contribute your efforts to something bigger than yourself or your family.
Doing something relevant and helpful for others opens your world in ways you may have yet to consider.
Ponder these positive benefits of helping others:
- You strengthen your connections to others when you reach out to help. We all yearn to find relationships and attachments in life. Helping others forges strong bonds.
- Giving something of yourself increases your feelings of generosity. Of course, you want to ensure you and your family members have everything you want and need. Yet, experiencing the joy of giving to others is one of the most incredible feelings you’ll ever have.
- It also feels pretty great when others acknowledge your generosity. The looks on the faces of those you reached out to can be all the thanks necessary to remain motivated to continue. When you hear someone genuinely say, “Thanks” and shake your hand or give a hug, you’ll feel on top of the world.
- You discover more about yourself whenever you assist others. Maybe you’ll discover that working with a charity organization is something you’ve wanted to do your whole life.
- You expand your repertoire of skills and sharpen a few of them in the process. Adding new skills and gaining knowledge by helping others can help in both your personal and professional lives.
- It’s a way to show gratitude for everything you’re thankful for in your own life. Most of us have experienced one or two rough spots in our lives when we needed some type of help or guidance. Think of how much someone’s assistance helped you in the past. You have the opportunity to pay it forward by serving others.
Consider these ideas to get started helping others:
- Become a regular visitor at a local assisted living center.
- Teach a special skill to kids in foster care, like sewing, golfing, or sketching.
- Join a local Habitat for Humanity to help build houses for those in need.
- Volunteer at your local hospital to deliver the newspaper, flowers, or otherwise help out hospital staff in working with the patients.
- Take part in your local learn-to-read program to teach kids and adults how to read. They have short training programs to help you learn quick one-on-one methods to help others develop and sharpen reading skills.
- Become a member in a local civic organization that raises money for charities that you appreciate. Consider organizations such as the Moose Club, Elks Lodge, Knights of Columbus, and the Masons.
- Reach out to programs like Big Brothers/Big Sisters, YMCA, YWCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, United Way, or your local food bank.
- If you’re in recovery from substance use or mental health struggles, become actively involved in local recovery programs to assist others suffering with these issues.
You can help others in ways that are life-enhancing for them and life-enriching for you! Check out your local organizations and decide where and how you’d like to be of service. You’ll love yourself for it and find your life to be more fulfilling.
If you want to get into the right mindset for helping others, listen to this Audio Affirmation. You can listen in the car or before bed. However you listen, it’s sure to help get your head in the right space.
If you’d rather listen to this blog, be sure to subscribe my podcast HERE. Look for it wherever you listen to podcasts. If it’s not there, it’s coming soon!